Thursday, April 7, 2016

Martinez comes to Peru

So hey, my boyfriend came to Peru! He was here for a total of eleven days and it was very badly needed. I rented an apartment through Airbnb and we stayed in Miraflores the entire time. If you don't know what Miraflores is, it is a neighboring district of Surco, the one I live in and go to school. And it is immensely different from Surco. In Mira there are a lot more young people, there are a lot more tourists so the locals are used to seeing people from other countries like myself. So it was nice staying in miraflores because I didn’t get stared at as much as I do here in Surco.

So while Tyler was here we didn’t get to go on any big trips but we did explore Lima and the area a lot. The first night that Tyler got here we walked down to pizza street and he finally saw the madness that is pizza street. It was actually really funny because he’s not used to people trying to sheepdog you into their restaurants and talking to you and telling you their happy hour deals. So we were walking through the street and he would just stop and talk to anyone and everyone who started talking to him and I couldn’t get him to just ignore them. But it was there that Tyler finally had his first legal drink of alcohol because the legal drinking age in Peru is 18. We also walked by Parque Kennedy and also known as the Cat Park but I could not get Tyler to walk in there. We walked a lot to LarcoMar, the nearby mall, and we went shopping and we went there a lot to go eat because they have a lot of really nice restaurants there. The next night we went out with some friends with Mariah and Claire and we tried to get into this club but it was just too packed so we ended up going right back to pizza street. When we got there we went to a smaller club that they had and then we saw karaoke so of course we had to go in and it was the best decision we made that night. Not saying we made any bad decisions, but Tyler did manage to find out who the big-time cocaine dealer of pizza street is.

That weekend on Saturday we went to Brisas Del Titicaca, which was a cultural Peruvian dance show. They had a bunch of dancers and they all of these numbers in different costumes and they they had different dances for different regions of the country like the jungle, the Andes, the highlands, Cuzco and it was very very interesting and a lot of fun. Then that following week I had classes on Monday Tuesday and Wednesday so on Monday I went to class in the afternoon and he picked me up from school in a taxi  and we went straight to Barranco for supper and drinks.

The next day I had class in the morning and then we decided to head to the center of Lima to look at some of the historical architecture. There we got to see Plaza Mayor and more importantly we took a tour of the monastery of San Francisco and ever since I saw it the first time I had wanted to take Tyler there because I knew that he would love it. We got to go down into the catacombs and around the court yard but I was a little disappointed because they didn’t take us upstairs or to the library or an entirely different section of the monastery and I'm not sure why. But it was still as beautiful as ever and I’m glad that he got to see some of it instead of none of it. Then after that it was time for supper and I had heard about the ruins near Miraflores called Huaca Pucllana and also about their renowned restaurant. We got there early and we waited until the restaurant opened and we sat outside on the patio right next to the ruins. They had them all lit up with a different colored lights and it was was very beautiful. Not only was it a great view but the food was probably the best I've had here and it was one my favorite nights when Tyler was here. That next day we went shopping in the morning and got some ice cream and then I just went to class and we didn't do much that day. It was a nice relaxing day.

The following day was St. Patrick’s Day so we got ready and late morning we went and met my entire class in the center of Lima. At noon they had the changing of the guard and  it was this big production with a band and marching in and out and switching the guards. From there we explored and we went into the cathedral which is just as beautiful as the monastery. Then we walked around and ended up going to Chinatown. So I just had so much fun with that because were walking through all of these people everywhere pushing me and us just because that’s just how they walk there. Then, I got stabbed so that’s cool. Yeah, this lady was walking next to me and she literally stab the back of my calf with her pointy umbrella and then she  just kind of looked at me and laughed. Tyler thought that I was going to punch her because of the look on my face. Now I didn’t see the look on my face but I’d imagine that if anyone got stabbed with umbrella they would have a pretty pretty unique facial expression. She straight up drew blood and I gave a new scar to prove it. But I’m moving on. Then walked around, got some ice cream, went to a market, found puppy Street which is cute but also depressing because a lot of the puppies there were way too young to be away from their mothers, sitting in a box waiting for someone to buy them. Then we went to Hotel Bolivar which is famous for their pisco sours. Then from there we grabbed taxis and set off to our favorite Irish pub because it was St. Patrick’s Day. One notable thing that happened during that cab ride was Tyler managed to find an aux cable and the cab driver let him blare his trap music the entire way there. We got a lot of stares from neighboring drivers but it was so much fun to just drive and listen to really loud music and in addition the cab driver enjoyed it a lot too. So we got to Houlihan’s, we drank, we laughed, we had fun, Shelby broke a glass, then we went to me and Tyler’s apartment to drink a little more and then go out after that. I won’t tell you everything that happened that night because I would end up writing a novel. But some of the highlights are Mariah ate like three slices of cake, took shower, in her clothes, while face timing someone. I guess she also drank all of our water because she has a video of herself just pouring it all over her face… I don’t know what happened with Mariah that night but it was pretty hilarious. My guess is it was the Jäger that Tyler kept giving her. Also Tyler dropped my phone on the glass awning of LarcoMar and ended up lowering Shelby down onto the glass in order to retrieve my phone. So needless to say, Saint patty’s day was fun.

We ended our weekend at el parque de las aqua. It was a park that had multiple water fountains, it up by colors. They had them running all night as well as a light show that ran for about 20 minutes four times a night.we took tons of pictures and it was a really great way to end his trip here. We sat down on a bench and talked and watched the big fountain change from red to purple, all of the colors of the rainbow. We couldn't have chosen a better thing to do that night. Because the next day at 10 am I had to say goodbye again at another airport. It was pretty hard and I may or may not have hyperventilated once I got back to the empty apartment to do checkout. But I never doubted us for a second and I only have two weeks left now so at this point I'm just trying to enjoy as much as I can because it'll be over so soon.

Well anyway, a post of my birthday weekend will come in the next couple of days and then I'll be basically getting ready to come home. So exciting. Okay bye.

No comments:

Post a Comment